Russell G. Hayden
The level of innovation that Mr. Hayden infused into the area of recruitment earned him the Outstanding Employee Award for the City of San Jose.
His contributions included the development of the fire department’s first recruitment program.
He built upon this program to include a comprehensive internship component that yielded many successful recruits who are where hired nationwide.
Recognizing the needs of candidates to be better prepared for the application and testing process, Mr. Hayden developed the acclaimed eight-hour course entitled “21st Century Diversity Recruitment Workshop”.
He continues to conduct this highly effective workshop throughout the nation.
Additionally, Mr. Hayden has participated as an oral board member and proctor for agencies throughout the nation.
With a passion for diversity and recruitment, Mr. Hayden’s experience and leadership roles include the following:
- Founder – Firefighter’s ABCs 1999 – Firefighter Diversity Recruitment Council
- National Recruit Database with candidates nationwide including Canada
- Diverse recruitment pool
- Firefighter’s ABCs Online Internship Program
- Firefighter’s ABCs Entry Level Workshop
- San Jose Fire Department – 29 years
- Gilroy Fire Department – 1 year
- Public Education Outreach
- Los Altos Fire Department – 5 years
- Began as Student Firefighter (First Black F/F and only Black for five years)
- Diversity Workshop at Fire Rescue International Convention – Dallas, TX
- Public Safety Equity & Diversity Conference – Roanoke, VA
- NorCal Waste Corporation (Now Recology)
- Environmental Compliance Programs Manager / Fire Safety Manager
- Oversight of Fire and Environmental Safety for the South Bay Region
- Rosendin Electric Inc.
- Safety Professional
- Apple AC2 Project – Cupertino, CA
- Santa Clara County Black Firefighters Association
- Past President and Co-Founder 1973
- SCCBFA Lifetime Service award 1998
- Russell G. Hayden
- FFABC’s The Back Story
- When it’s time to relax
- He can be seen driving his 1954 Chrysler Crown Imperial
- While pulling his 1948 Teardrop Trailer
- Check it out!
“If your efforts help only one towards a career in the fire service, you did your job”